The 52-acre site of The Presbyterian Home of Hawfields was given by Mrs. Mary White Scott, wife of former Governor Kerr Scott and mother of former Governor Bob Scott, to Hawfields Presbyterian Church for development as a retirement center. When the corporation was formed, the church deeded the property to the corporation, and the Home operates today as a Not-For-Profit Corporation.
While the initial funds were donated by local churches, currently the Presbyterian Home of Hawfields is independent and self-sustaining. As a Not-For-Profit Corporation, private donations are tax deductible as allowed by law. A volunteer Board of Directors, made up of individuals from the local area, oversees operations.
The Ole White Place
The Presbyterian Home of Hawfields is constructed on the site of “The Ole White Place.” This site, the birthplace of Mrs. Mary Elizabeth White Scott (wife of Governor Kerr Scott and mother Governor Bob Scott), consists of 52 acres of land. “Miss Mary” donated the land for use as a home for the elderly. The bricks from the chimneys in the house were used in the brick wall in the Dining Room. Some of the furniture in the Parlor was in the “White” house. It was covered and donated to the Home.
Mary Elizabeth White Scott, 1897-1972
On this land stood the birthplace and childhood home of Mary Elizabeth White Scott, whose forebears settled in the Hawfields in 1761. Diminutive in stature, strong in character, and gracious in all things, she loved her family, church and community. A devoted wife, loving mother and public servant, she was known and loved throughout North Carolina as “Miss Mary.” In keeping with her love for others, she bequeathed fifty-two acres of her ancestral land for a home for the aged. This building is dedicated to the Glory of God and to the ministry of loving care of the elderly.